New Hospital Planned for Markdale

New Hospital planned for MarkdaleThe Ontario government is investing up to $53 million for the development and construction of the new Grey Bruce Health Services Markdale Hospital. This facility should improve access to care in rural areas and help end hallway health care. This funding is in addition to the $3 million previously invested for the planning and design of the new hospital which brings the total investment up to $56 million.

Ontario Newsroom reports that this new state-of-the-art hospital will replace the existing aged facility, expand capacity and improve access to quality care for patients and families in Grey County and surrounding areas.


"It is so important to ensure all Ontarians have the best quality health care as close to home as possible. That's why our government is making monumental investments like this in Markdale. By building new modern hospitals, we will ensure people get a high level of care whether they are in big cities or our small and rural communities."

Premier of Ontario | Doug Ford


Construction of the new hospital will start next week. The hospital will include the following:


 - Modern 24/7 emergency department with four exam and treatment areas that will provide improved space for staff and patients

 - Four short stay beds better adapted to new non-surgical procedures and one palliative care bed which will replace traditional inpatient beds

 - Larger space to double outpatient care and expand procedural services including minor procedures

 - Access to clinical laboratory and diagnostic imaging services, ambulatory clinics, space for visiting specialists and inter-professional teams

 - Expanded telemedicine services

 - Ambulance bay for two ambulances


Rural hospitals play a critical role in ensuring equitable access to high-quality care for patients and families across Ontario. This hospital in Markdale is part of Ontario's investment of $20 billion over 10 years to build new and expanded health care infrastructure.


"As an advocate for the new Markdale Hospital since the day I was elected, I'm proud to announce that this project is fully approved and shovels will be in the ground shortly. I congratulate the local community who rallied around this project and raised millions in support. We have been looking forward to this day for many years and I am thankful to Premier Ford and Minister Elliott for making this new hospital a reality."

MPP for Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound | Bill Walker


The Owen Sound Sun Times states that the new hospital will be built next to the Grey Gables long-term care home and is expected to take two years to complete. Construction is planned to begin in March 2021.


DataBid Ad - New Medical Projects2


Bird Construction, a firm with offices across Canada that has built many large health care facilities, has begun site preparation work in Markdale. Fencing will be erected by Monday and then work will begin clearing the site, building roads and starting utility work. 

The province committed to funding 90 per cent of what it considers allowable construction costs, with the other 10 per cent to be covered by the community through the Centre Grey hospital foundation. 


DataBid is currently reporting on this project - GBHS New Markdale Hospital  (0026022420)


Posted by Judy Lamelza

Need the details on a specific Project or Company?
See how DataBid can help your company find projects and increase your odds of winning.



New call-to-action
DataBid Ad - New Medical Projects1